Call us

    +1 506 365 7970


    Send us mail


  • contact us
Nelson Hollow Bridge  


The Nelson Hollow Bridge is believed to be the oldest covered bridge in New Brunswick and the only remaining covered bridge in Northumberland County.  It is also one of only two New Brunswick bridges built with a “hip” or cottage-style roof.

First constructed in 1870 and rebuilt in 1899, the bridge is 24.5 meters long and spans Betts Mill Brook about 4 km west of Doaktown.  In 1977 it was restored through the efforts of the Central Miramichi Historical Society and is now owned and maintained by the New Brunswick Department of Transportation.





Directions:  Exit off Route 8 (near the Doaktown Village limits to the west) to Nelson Hollow Drive.  Follow the dead-end road for approximately 0.2 km.

   Nelson Hollow Bridge view from under bridge








About Doaktown

The village of Doaktown is located in the heart of the Miramichi, along the Miramichi River. The famous Miramichi River is one of the most productive salmon rivers in the world, in both past and present day. Not only is the Southwest Miramichi River among the top 10 cleanest rivers in the world, it is home to the elusive Atlantic salmon that has tempted the skill of men for centuries. Doaktown's history is both colourful and diverse, changing with time and industry. Home to the Atlantic Salmon Museum, the Doak Historic Site, the Old Mill Pond Golf Club, and numerous fishing and outdoor adventure experiences.

Latest News

Village of Doaktown

Address: 8 Miramichi Street, Doaktown, NB, Canada, E9C 1C8

Phone: 506-365-7970

Fax: 506-365-7111

Email: info@doaktown.ca